Friday, April 1, 2011

Robert Bunsen

 So yesterday I went to Google so I could get some information on one of my blogs and I happened to run across a picture on the Google webpage of a chemistry set with a Bunsen burner and steaming pot.  I clicked on the image found out that yesterday was Robert Wilhelm Eberhard Bunsen’s birthday.
 
Robert Bunsen is a famous German Chemist is most notably known for discovering iron oxide hydrate as an antidote for arsenic poisoning and the invention of the Bunsen burner, which is used in almost every chemistry course in high school and college. 
 
Robert Bunsen is also known to have worked with Gustav Kirchhoff, who is best known by electrical engineers for the creation of Kirchhoff’s Laws.  Besides being a great scientist, Robert Bunsen also had good qualities that should still be recognized today.  One his qualities was the devotion he had towards his students and work.  Robert Bunsen is often quoted as saying, “Working is beautiful and rewarding, but acquisition of wealth for its own sake is disgusting.” 
 
This quote is one that describes a lot people in college and going into college.  I know when I tell people that I'm studying mechanical engineering they always bring up the point that I'll be making a lot of money when I graduate.  While it is true engineers do make pretty good money starting out, I didn't get into engineering for the money.  I got into engineering because I liked math, science, and the sense of learning about how everything around me worked and functioned.  Getting a job in something that doesn't interest you just for the money isn’t good.  The two main reasons being you’ll never like it and you’ll have to work the job for over 40 years.  Do something that will fulfill you and will make you want to go to work everyday with the desire to see what will happen next.  No matter what you do in life, as long as you put your heart, mind, and soul into it, you will prosper.
 
So take heed to the words of Robert Bunsen and do something because it will fulfill you and not because it’ll make you rich.
 
Fight the Good Fight
Ya Boy Archie Wright!